Friday, June 25, 2010

Sons of Norway Convention

I am currently in Modesto, California. I came here to attend the Sons of Norway convention. I am the current secretary to the Stein Fjell Lodge 6-114. We are staying in the Doubletree hotel and the convention is in the hotel. I have a roommate of which I had never met before. We are getting along famously. She is from Arizona. I have met alot of really nice and fun loving Norwegians. There is a small amount of business to take care of so we had workshops in between sessions. Tons of coffee was served in between sessions and tons of Norwegian cookies. I of course tried all of them. They were great. One of our lunches was open faced sandwiches. Last night we had the bunad parade. All the members who had traditional Norwegian costumes were requested to wear them to dinner. After dinner they paraded around the room in their bunads. It was great to see so many bunads. One woman explained each of the bunads and where they came from in Norway. It was very educational. I took so many pictures and put them on my facebook page. There was one guy who dressed up as a Viking and talked partially in Norwegain and English. He had us in stitches most of the time.


Today was full of sessions and nominations. We got through most of our business so we were let go early. I spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing. We did get together at a small party in Lyle's room. It was nice talking to so many people. But, it was hot and it was alot like putting as many people in one room as you can. Signing off until my next adventure...:)

Some examples of Norwegian folk art. There was Rosemaling and Hardanger embroidery and more.





There was a bunad parade also with everyone who ones one wore it. Seeing this was really educational.




No comments:

Post a Comment