Saturday, June 19, 2010

Getting around

Well, after living in Paso Robles for so many years I thought I could just go driving around and be fine. Much to my dismay, I got lost my first day running around town alone. I quickly discovered I had to totally rely on the names of the streets, all the landmarks had changed. I am getting better after driving around after a couple of days. There is still a very strong sulfer smell downtown since the earthquake of many years ago.. The earthquake opened a huge hole in the parking lot directly behind what is now a museum and it is still there. The building where the clock tower had been damaged has been retro-fitted and re-built. I will be taking pictures of the downtown area.
I drove to San Luis Obispo to enjoy the Farmer's Market and happily found that at least was still there. Much had changed in SLO also. But at least I could remember how to get around in SLO. I took a few pictures of Farmer's Market and the old Mission. This Farmer's Market has the usual fair of farm produce, but it also has vendors of all kinds, food vendors and musicians on every other block. The street is so packed it is like trying to get around in Disneyland. There are also almost as many lights lighting up the area.
Highway 101 is under construction again. It seems like no matter when I visit the area 101 is always under some kind of construction.
There is a bakery here called Cider Canyon Bakery and they make the best sandwiches and homemade breads. The room is painted in a light shade of green with what looks like pickled pine around the room. There is windows all around and you can see some hills with grape vines growing in a local vinyard. The patio has a fireplace and lot of plants, a very lovely place to sit and enjoy the views and eat and have a cup of coffee.
They tore down the building that was the high school that I went to on 24th and Main st. They rebuilt the school for elementary age and it looks like the original school that was built there after WWII.
I have managed to meet up with a couple of high school friends so far and will get together with a few more before I leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment